The Canada Malting Co. built a malt house in 1905 along the Lachine Canal, when the are was the largest industrial district in the country. At the time, all ships bound for the Great Lakes had to go through the canal. For transportation by train and by ship, the malting complex was in a choice location both for receiving the raw material, barley, and for sending out the processed product: malt.
The site was also used to germinate grain, particularly barley, used to make beer. The company was a major supplier of raw material for Montreal’s brewing industry. In 1963, eighteen silos were added to the complex. With the construction of a new malting plant in the Port of Montreal along the Bonaventure Expressway in the 1980s, the silos gradually fell out of use. Today, they are completely abandoned and have fallen victim to vandalism.